Sunday, 24 October 2010

Bootiful Warsaw! Food, Feet and Fish (foo!)

What an absolutely spectacular day's weather Warsaw had yesterday, the kind of day where just being alive, outdoors and in the sun is enough to make one content with one's lot.

The Mrs and I popped up to have a look at the Arkadia shopping centre - the Bluewater of Warsaw - very early in the morning and then spent the rest of the day outdoors, shopping for gew-gaws and knick-knacks. I have a knee condition called chondromalatial patellae which causes me a bit of pain if I'm on my feet all day, but it was worth it for just being out and about on what must be, surely, one of the last days of full sunshine before The Ice Man Cometh.

It was at the Arkadia shopping centre I learnt that the Guinness Toucan has had a commercial dispute with Guinness and decided to go it alone:


Judging by the odeur de poisson coming from his salad bar, I think he's got a beak future in the restaurant trade. Bish.

Having got there early our visit was slightly marred by the power going down and a stern disimbodied voice coming on the speakers to apologise every other minute. The search continues nontheless for a decent pair of winter boots. So far, I can't find a single shoe shop that offers a combination of a high boot, well soled, a warm inner lining and a classic look. I'm not going to settle for an inferior boot because when I'm standing at a bus stop in -20 with wind chill on top, I will curse myself for not trying hard enough. In addition, finding a smart and thick winter coat is also becoming a bit of an Odyssey. Anyone with a recommendation for either items?

Last night we had a friend over and enjoyed a culinary journey in time, starting in the middle ages with prawn cocktail and then fast-forwarding into the 21st century with baked and stuffed aubergines. Once again my greed got the better of me and prevented me from taking pictures. However, now that I have discovered a place to get scotch bonnet peppers and realised that ziele angielskie is actually allspice, you can look forward to being introduced to my favourite meat seasoning/marinade, jamaican jerk (see below). The ultimate fiery food adventure and a dish I hope to release into the culinary wilds and take root like the other international Polish food favourites: late night kebabs (that sometimes aren't bad) terrible Chinese restaurants and an inexplicable love for badly made sushi.


This afternoon we're having spicey prawns, home made oven chips and a salad on the side. The dish being an invention of necessity as it's all we've got left in the kitchen. Smacznego!

No comments:

Post a Comment