The Mrs and I have been apart for about a year living separately, in that time she has mercifully learned to cook and yesterday made this excellent turkey kotlet with mizeria cucumber salad, once the favourite dish of an Italian princess who came to Poland and introduced it to the local cuisine - so named as she was so miserable here. Unlike me! However, so far no dishes named after me so she's one dish ahead. I am dish-gusted.
This afternoon we went to a Polish choral music event at the Wniebowistapienia Panskiego church in Ursynow to listen to choral music from the 13th century onwards. Pieces included Koszewski's Zdrowas Krolewno wyborna, Sawa's Maria Mater gratiae and a couple of Gorecki compositions. As a layman I know nothing of the science of putting the music together but it was utterly beautiful and the soprano, Anna Wozniak, was impressive.
Apologies for the quality of my pictures but winter boots and coats are a more pressing budgetary concern than a digital camera at this current time.
The next concert at the church will be at 16.00 on the 14th of November and we will definitely be going back.
This evening we ate Mozarella risotto with peas, broccoli and mizeria on the side. I've always been suspicious of electric hobs since a particularly poor one in Brixton but the Indesit one at our current abode cooked the risotto rice beautifully and quicker than my old London flat's gas hob.
Washed down with an Okocim beer - delicious. Mizeria reminds me of the Swedish dish Pressgurka that my family makes using vinegar, rather than cream. Indeed ogorek is the singular polish word for cucumber.
Finally - apologies for the current non-use of Polish diacritics, I'll sort the keyboard shortcuts out this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment