Thursday, 21 October 2010

Get Real! Shopping and Culture Shock

The Real shopping centre on Ul. Filipiny Plackowickiej in Ursynow is quite possible the largest grocery shop I have ever been in. Because of the tremendous space of land available the Poles really can, in new build shops, get them right. It's a 7 or 8 minute walk so we'll continue to use our local Delikatesy and Lidl for the daily rolls and water but, honestly, you could spend a weekend in there I tells ya. They've got two aises purely for sausage! And self service checkouts!

If I sound a little delirious it's just that self service checkouts in Poland do eliminate the fairly unpleasant process of having to deal with service staff. I realised yesterday that I am moving from Phase 1 (a delight in all things new and different) in Culture Shock theory to Phase 2 (an irritation at the differences in comparison to home country) So now when I hold a door open for someone and they fail to thank me, or even make eye contact, I grrr under my teeth rather than finding it faintly amusing.When someone fairly pushes you out of the way to get to some item or pushes in front of you, rather than doing the English muted and hissable, "sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, thank you," I am really quite tempted to say out loud, "PRZEPRASAM!" (excuse me!). But, of course, I am still far too British for that...

A meating of minds...

I can think of many occasions when a bag of frozen fish fingers just wasn't enough.. (Phase 2 sarcasm)

A 3 sided delicatessen! Whoever heard of such a thing! (Still in Phase 1 here)

A snip at 75 quid...

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Paddy. I just got your site address from your comment on W-wa Jeziorki - thanks for that. I don't know Ursynów, but normally think of Real as a mid-sized hypermarket. Try hopping on a bus (709 or 727, I think) down to Piaseczno and try the Auchan there. It may be bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pan Steeva, you are my first commenter so thank you for that as well.

    I can't really visualise anything larger but I will definitely pop down to the Auchan in Paiseczno on that basis! I enjoy reading Mlochow (sorry for lack of diacritics!) as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pan Steeva beat me to it.

    Auchan Piaseczno makes Real look like a rural sub-post office.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's my Sunday afternoon sorted then!

    ReplyDelete