Saturday, 9 October 2010

Oh, The Good Life

Dear future readers, 

Like a good non-Catholic, I will start with a confession: I occasionally read the Daily Mail comments after an article. Once you start, it's sometimes quite hard to stop. I never fail to be amazed by the number of ex-pats  commenting on articles such as, "Dead Swan 'Resurrected by Power of Immigrant's Black Magic' Exposed as Benefits Cheat Mime Artist." You don't get that in Thailand, they say, or that would never happen in Australia where all benefits cheat mime artists are kept in isolation until proven capable of talking, thank god.

I found myself in the weeks leading up to moving to Poland decrying certain aspects of British life in the same way. It's a method of psychological self justification, I suppose. But nevertheless as I took my first trips on the Warsaw Metro this week, I couldn't help but enjoy the fact that - unlike in London, where a stern woman continually exhorts us to Mind the Gap and watch our belongings and take note of the fact that 24 hour CCTV is in operation for our safety - the Metro annunciator merely states the station on arrival and the next station. The contrast is blissful and is for me the first true moment I have thought: this is better than London.

This blog is a chance to set some thoughts down on paper on football, food, politics, pavements and whatever else comes to mind in the mean time. I hope you enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Ah ha i found the start :) So this is where it all began.. I'll continue to read.

    ReplyDelete