Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Stone the Crows it's Jerk the Chicken time!


The spices have been mixed, the Scotch Bonnet Peppers have been well and truly handled with care, the coriander chopped, the brown sugar added and the chicken marinaded....

...now the only thing standing in the way of introducing Poland to the most mouth-wateringly fire cracking taste extravaganza is the hunt for Coconut Milk. Surely Real won't let me down on this, the important of elements for the Rice and Pea?
Jerk in progress...

Jerk Recipe:
  1. cup of brown sugar
  2. handful of parsley and coriander
  3. tbspn of following soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, plug of Original Guinness (my secret ingredient) and malt vinegar
  4. tbspn of following: cinammon, nutmeg, paprika, salt and pepper, thyme, allspice. 
  5. as many scotch bonnet peppers as you can handle (use plastic to handle them mind!) I generally use between 3 and 5 depending on who will be eating it. 
Blend the (fresh, wherever possible) ingredients in a large bowl and rub or marinade the meat overnight before cooking, preferably on a grill or barbecue. I usually make the Jerk quite runny as it goes further in marinades, but it's also possible to prepare a dry rub by cutting out the sauces. Leaving the meat to marinade overnight means the flavour really works its way into whatever dish you are creating. Works well for pork, chicken or strong white meats. Any leftovers can always be added to sandwiches for a fiery snack with a difference. Works best with a starchy side dish like Rice and Pea (recipe tomorrow) and I imagine could work with a mash too.

This seasoning for me is one of the most exceptional flavourings you can give a meat. Initially sharp from the scotch bonnets, the sweetness of the brown sugar gives the meat a delicious intensity. In the battle of the flavours the shock troops of the spices working in combination complement the scotch bonnets so you're left dazed, confused and delighted. Well worth a go if you've never tried, I first tried Jerk when I lived in Brixton and it's best there, try the guys who sell it all year round at the corner of Atlantic Road and Coldharbour Lane.

One I made earlier



All being well I should be tucking into this tomorrow. Apologies again for the qualities of my pictures, I don't have the camera capable of doing justice to the crackling skin of the chicken, but believe me this-one-I-made-earlier was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment