Thursday, 9 December 2010

The Teaching Business, The Queen Mum and The Lash

I've really enjoyed getting into the' teaching business'. The best thing about it is getting out and about around the city and meeting new people from a range of different sectors. I try to focus my classes (which are all with intermediate and advanced speakers) on 'real-world' or 'real-time' issues affecting their businesses or in the lives they lead outside work with a focus on building vocabulary, colloquialisms and idiom (vital to a business discussion given how rich the English language is in them) and grammar where necessary. Not all classes go well: it can be an effort to stimulate discussion. So I've also got a new respect for teachers, you need to be a performer in each and every class. You can't sit at the back and not lead. It’s a different kind of discipline from the skills needed in most office based jobs, and it can be great for instant-hit rewards when you see a student learning something new, or with two pages of new vocab in their hands and a new favourite English language word. That’s a good feeling to leave a class with. 

Whilst researching the Monarchy for a class tomorrow I happened to chance upon this video of King George VI marrying the late Queen Mother in the 1920s. Fascinating: the journey through London, the shaky cards explaining the action, the Queen Mum emerging from her “modest home on Bruton street” and the visible excitement of the huge crowds. It’s a great look at a Britain that has changed hugely in the past 80 years: look at the streets, the clothes, the importance of ceremony and respect. Fascinating!

The Britain I left behind is changing even as I write with riots in Parliament Square during the votes in Parliament on tuition fees. I wonder if it will, when I return, ever feel like ‘home’ again or if I will be forever an ex-pat, condemned to an eternity of making bitter comments on the Daily Mail website (which I currently do subversively: agitating for a return to the lash regardless of the article - they always get published).

No comments:

Post a Comment