Despite Łódź‘s reputation and all the warnings that it wasn’t safe at night, that there were many drunks and violent people there, I felt safe the whole time. Access to the nearby airport is really very easy: skip a taxi if you’re on a budget and take the 55 bus.
Staying at the Hotel Centrum on ul. Kilinskiego, reputedly Roman Polanski’s residence of choice whilst Łódź still had its film festival, I had plenty of time to take in the superb view.
I was most surprised by the fact that so many of the central fine pre-war buildings were either run down or unoccupied. Unless people know something I don’t, Łódź looked to me to be exactly the sort of place you’d want buy a house/apartment in. I can foresee a future not too distant where those houses get sold for a fortune.
Incidentally, Łódź is also the town where I discovered my favourite food combination of 2010: a Bigos/Kanapka hybrid (left). Who said the Polish food industry wasn't innovative?!
PS. I have just seen this English language video report on the BBC on John Abraham Godson, the city's new (black) MP.
PS. I have just seen this English language video report on the BBC on John Abraham Godson, the city's new (black) MP.
I went to Łódż a few times and felt that the praise they gave to Piotrikowski was more a reflection of their low expectations than the quality of the street. I can'yt imagine it going downhill.
ReplyDeleteI would have described the town as dead rather than deadly, even the day following a football 'riot' - the soppy thugs couldn't even break glass in doors and windows, only crack it. Where are the Dr Martins when you need them?
Pan Steeva, was this before or after the renovation of the street?
ReplyDeleteBefore, I hope - perhaps 2005/6, last time. However, they still felt it to be the best street in Poland.
ReplyDeleteIt was before according to the English Language wikipedia site, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piotrkowska_Street which seems pretty pleased with itself. The problem is as you walk to the Pietryna (as it is apparently called) you're walking through derelict, boarded up houses and run down streets. I suppose the work has got to start somewhere. I really do feel that it's got the right ingredients to be an attractive town in 10, 20 or 30 years.
ReplyDelete