Monday, 17 January 2011

Where do you Buy Yours? Chocolate Eggs

I was walking by Plac Konstytucji yesterday when I spotted a tourist in topographical distress. Whipping out my superb Copernicus map, which never leaves my side, I soon sorted out her problem: trying to find ul. Koszykowa, described as a "hip and trendy" street in her hotel's map of Warsaw. Suddenly remembering that I'd been intending to go there this week to register at the public library and check out the British fish and chip shop  reviewed here by Michael Dembinski at W-wa Jeziorki, I accompanied her.

I'd agree with Michael's assessment. Entering The Fish and Chip shop is like being teleported back to Aldeburgh at Christmas (a genuine home to many superb fish and chip restaurants by the way) even down to the tiling and shape (and the UK pricesL 25zl for decent sausages, steep, but I'll almost certainly buy some soon) Well worth a look/taste/buy.

Best of all Kasia, the girl behind the counter, gave me a free Cadburys Creme Egg to welcome me to the shop. A wonderful gesture which ensures this blog post and also this picture of said egg on the left, prior to consumption, as I wandered, slightly punch drunk on British products, out of the shop.

 
For Polish readers who haven't ever seen this peculiar confectionary, a native species to the slightly mad British chocolate sector, it's a pretend "egg" with a disturbingly E-numbered goey yolk-like centre, as on the right>>>


Can you believe they sell 200 million of these each year? And yet there is something incredibly more-ish about these "eggs." They're a great idea, and the former advertising tagline "how do you eat yours?" also has a place in history.

When you make your product a talking point sales can hit the roof.

Let's hope the British fish and chip shop becomes a talking point for Varsovians. Fish and chips fit into the Polish gastronomic psyche, in my opinion, and the shop deserves to be a success. Good luck to the owner and thanks to Kasia, I will be going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment