Thursday, 24 February 2011

Of Rashes, Gloves, Boots and Solar Snooker Balls

Only another three or four months of this then it'll be everyone's sweat we're complaining about...


















 
As I walked out of a class this afternoon I looked up: the Sun sat as a suspended solar snooker ball in the sky. I realised my legs were itching.

Advised by a student to "buy some impregnate," for my boots, I've ventured out and purchased some Bama PowerProtector (TM) to ward off the dust, grit and snand (snow and sand). It's probably about three months after the horse has bolted and fled the country under an assumed name (Shergar Redux anyone?) but I'm assuming we haven't quite seen the end of the snows and subsequent grit and it's therefore a worthy purchase. If anyone knows better and I've just wasted 20 bob, then please let me know now.

For a minute I wanted to chortle about being advised to buy some "impregnate" but then I remembered that the word (was) used more generally for "to soak" or "to suffuse" and it's only in these 'ere modern times that it's used largely in relation to pregnancy.

The other piece of advice I need from a reader of PzU is skin related. My legs have been getting quite dry over the past couple of weeks, and my thighs have developed a bit of a rash as observed this afternoon when composing lyrical nonsense about the sun. As I've not engaged in the rubbing of poison oak or poison ivy recently I am wondering if anyone knows if cold weather affects the skin? I am such a cold-weather novice.


The above picture is of an alleyway in the outside market in Sadyba. I love this market, it's a hive of activity, signs advertising Karp and endless shops selling pretty much the same stuff, which seems to be a Polish tradition. 

I managed to pick up some woollen gloves for only 5zl and a nice bag of makaron for tonight's Rosoł from an old man with whom I had a long chat about British weather, which we both slagged off. Wrongly, it turns out, as today was apparently quite warm in the UK. Old man, I take it all back, but I won't be taking back the Makaron. Mniam.

7 comments:

  1. "It puts the lotion on the skin..."

    Sorry - had to do it! No, haven't had any issues in that regard. Sounds like you're getting a bit soft in old age. You need to 'man up'.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha, took me a second to work that one out. "It places the lotion in the basket" The proble is I'm not getting soft, I'm getting scaly and dry.

    Besides John Terry probably bathes in moisturiser. He's a faux hard man!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Paddy it I get the dreaded heat rash too. It comes from the in and out of the heated offices back out into the snow, into a heated bus, back into the snow etc. The simplest thing is any moisturiser. As you said it is simply dry skin caused through dry air and also the old osmosis factors. You will find you slowly adapt to the weather too :) You can also get a spray called Oxycort which might help, I think you need a prescription for that though

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a complete novelty for me so forgive my ignorance! I've been using E45 and it seems to have improved within a day. I thought I was adapting rather well but apparently not. Cheers gee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oxycort has sterydy in it, I've used it for alergy, it's probably overkill for simple dry skin problems.

    Buy some Nivea or sth like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I noticed a few days ago that there's a Warsaw nightclub I hadn't seen before, just past The De Gaulle roundabout and the palm tree, heading for the bridge over the river. I'm sure the young girls there will have the same problem and be willing to give you some advice. It's just by the Emerald Pub, which I was once told (by an Irishman) was the original Irish Irish pub in Warsaw, so its your duty to try. The pub had a happy hours notice outside, but I doubt if it includes discounted Guinness. There may be nothing Irish about it now, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. E45 seems to be doing the job. Was a bit disconcerting as I've never had dry skin before, and it came from nowhere.

    Pan Steeva, I know all about those kinds of rashes!

    Actually I've been meaning to mention: you remember our pints at Patrick's Bar? (no relation). After you left the drunk Polish guy ordered another round, got me to pay (the git) and then spent an hour trying to persuade me to go to the Emerald Pub to meet some cheap prostitutes he knew. I managed to get out there in one piece and without taking him up on the offer. It gets a very bad reputation online.

    ReplyDelete