To English speaking or more specifically the US and UK, European advertising can sometimes seem either quaint or totally bizarre. In this case (advertising a well known brand considered a Polish classic but foreign-owned) it's most definitely the latter.
I am wondering what additives, or worse, they fed, or indeed what they did to this kid to get his face in this position long enough to photograph him. The mind truly boggles.
Coming across this TV crew outside Galeria Mokotow I realised my moment had come, straightened my tie and proceeded to prepare for the momentous interview which would herald the PzU political movement's birth. Sadly little attention was paid to anonymous me, the TVP reporter did a brief on-air spiel about the weather then scarpered. TVP being notorious PIS stooges, I can only conclude this was a politically motivated and desperate red herring.
Remember, only PzU promises free Sledz for the under 18s and a deposit back on all bottles. The revolution starts here. Tak, mozemy.
TVP film crews are massive. A reporter, sound guy, cameraman, man holding a circle of reflective foil, a make-up lady, a clapper-loader, a focus-puller, a key grip, an accountant and a health and safety officer.
ReplyDeleteTVN film crews consist of a reporter and cameraman.
Polsat film crews consist of a reporter who also sets up the camera on its tripod and runs round the front once he's pressed the 'record' button.
TVP film crews arrive in a Volkswagen T5 Transporter, driven by yet another full-time member of staff (usually a political appointee).
TVN film crews arrive in Fiat 500 with TVN logos all over it.
Polsat's intrepid reporter turns up in a taxi.
And people wonder why TVP is up sh** creek financially.
I did wonder about silver foil guy: Do the crew swap roles or is his answer at dinner parties, "Oh I'm the guy who hold up the shiny silver foil to reflect light onto reporters."
ReplyDeleteComing from the UK where, by and large, TV reporting is neutral (mainly a case of what they miss out rather than anything overtly political appearing) I still find it hard to get my head around politicised media. A political appointee? May as well call him a Commisar and be done with it!
@Michael Dembinski - hilarious comment! :)
ReplyDeletePaddy - shit for me that advertising works. I want to buy some of that stuff just to see if it gives me the power to stack vegetables in a gravity defying way. It would make a nice addition to my C.V
The bizarre bit is that regardless of the money available they all recycle the same non-news. On TVP1 I saw a story about a street where residents had to park on one side of the street one day and the other side on the other day. The result was that at midnight they had to change their cars position to avoid being fined. Although interesting pehaps for a local newspaper this was hardly national news. I then saw the same story a week later on TVN. Still not news-worthy, and worse still for being repeated.
ReplyDeletePerhaps the best display of a lack of investigative reportage was when a valid speculation concerning the possibility of the Suez canal being closed during Egyptian unrest was taken a tad to far. The journalists then spend five minutes speculating on how this would influence clothes' prices and interviewed people in shops to see if they would still buy the clothes. The result was they had a hypothetical response to a hypothetical situation concerning a hypothetical average woman and the opinion of guess what? ... some bloke in a shop.
Secret agent - just to test that theory, I am going to buy said product as well as 5 or 6 peppers, and see if it's possible.
ReplyDeleteJeremy, that doesn't sound all that unfamiliar from the mindless blather on UK news outlets, all repeated every 15 minutes. Actually, since you commented yesterday I've been quiestioning why there's so little genuine innovation in television news. Something must be done!