Wednesday, 13 April 2011

From Polish to Pillars to Blogpost

There are four “pillars” to my stay in Poland and one of them is to speak intermediate to advanced Polish within 12 – 24 months. It took me six months before I was able to afford classes and even now it’s the most significant drain on my wallet and the most likely to be cancelled should financial hardship hit.

Schools

I started off at a school in central Warsaw which advertised its “open and communicative method” to language training.  After nearly 3 months I became a little frustrated at what I feel was the 'dumbed down' nature of the teaching: the cases are all given English names,  the “why” of grammar (the rules which allow you to apply it outside of the class) skipped over and the materials were all “home grown.” The pace felt relaxed, rather than intensive.

Odpoczasz, mon....

The kicker for me came last week when as part of a question session every single student in the new A2 class we'd begun (drawn from two different groups and including me) got a simple answer using the Instrumental case wrong. All 7 of us had spent three months studying at the previous level including studying the Instrumental and none of us could remember how to apply it correctly. I have no excuses as I learnt the Instrumental years ago in London! 

Borsuk

My old chum Borsuk na Pradze studies over at the Centre for Polish Studies and I’ve also started in his class.  The difference was startling: the audio exercises are much faster and challenging, the class smaller, the material and teachers simple more challenging. Having gone from being able to do the exercises off the top of my head at the previous school, I am now having to sit down and put the brain into gear. Good! You’re never going to learn a language like Polish without getting a serious case of brainache from time to time. And I want to do the best that I can do, not feel comfortable.

Students

I loved my group at the previous school but they did have some terrible habits, the sorts of things that frustrate me as a teacher. Yawning loudly, texting during class, talking to each other in English, refusing to be creative and lack of commitment are all really annoying. It’s made me realise that the class you study with is at least as important as the teacher you have. In addition in the previous school we kept going drinking after class. Good for socialising, bad for the wallet and waist. 

Commitment

Unless you’re a naturally gifted linguist learning Polish (or any other language) is a big commitment. That may sound obvious but I don’t think I realised that when I first studied it in London. In my opinion, there is almost no point learning it unless you are able to throw yourself in completely: consuming Polish in every medium available, speaking as much as possible, writing everything in Polish and thinking in Polish. It was with some small pleasure that I woke up on Monday morning realising I’d had a dream that had taken place with Polish being spoken. I can’t remember what it was but it’s a sign that it’s permeating my consciousness. 

Coin toss....

I also find that I am starting to replace English words like “but” “indeed” and “of course” with Polish as the words I automatically think of using in certain situations. Yesterday I found a shiny five pence coin in the change in my pocket. I turned it in my fingers and realised that it looked unknown to me, out of place. Without realising it the złoty and groszy has somehow committed mental regicide and replaced the noble British pound and the hearty British pence in my mind-set. Perhaps that’s the point about learning a language: you need to give up something to get something back. The process benefits you but it can leave attachments which were once familiar suddenly looking like strangers.

8 comments:

  1. Can you switch your phone into Polish? I keep switching mine to Polish but I seem to be 'weak' and I switch it back when I get frustrated trying to find obscure features.

    I have also switched my computer into Polish . . . albeit not my primary one because it drives my wife and I bananas since I'm always tinkering on the n-th level menu adjusting little features.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes there is a little globe button on the Iphone keypad which converts to Polish. I rarely use it to write in Polish as diacritics etc. take up another character and therefore you can end up paying for two texts rather than one just by trying to write in Polish properly, if you get me.

    I have found the Windows language options irritating, greatly irritating. I tend to write Polish by hand in the main, rather than on my laptopy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you need to separate the other effects from the learning of the language.

    For example, I've had all the other symptoms for years - British things seeming out of place, Polish intruding in dreams/daydreams, using Polish words when speaking English and so on. None of these have improved my ability to learn the language.

    They may well be a sign of acclimatisation, but not much else.

    I've also had trouble finding the right learning environment on those many occasions I have felt like throwing more money at it. Problem now is that the gaps in my Polish are so random it's impossible to follow any logical sequence of teaching.

    What happened to the Warsaw bloggers meeting???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just out of interest Scatts what is your "level" of Polish? I hear you about the gaps. i've done an intensive course in Wroclaw, six months in London and now starting again in Warsaw, but I still can't tell you how to say 200 in Polish.

    I guess for me I was thinking about language development as I looked at the coins in my hand, so for me they feel linked, but you're right of course, the one doesn't necessarily help t'other.

    No idea - was there meant to be another one in March?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a level, Paddy, or at least I have no way to describe what it is.

    You should concentrate on numbers for a while, they are incredibly easy as they follow British numbering exactly with just a very few exceptions.

    I found months harder than numbers.

    Good luck anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers, need a fair bit of good luck methinks. It can be a very disheartening process but the sweeter the nut and all that.

    I know what you mean about learning. It all gets hard wired in the brain and once it's in there it's quite hard to re-learn in a different or more comprehensive way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paddy, we should meet up for a pint, a run, an intellectual deconstruction of all things Polish or something coz I also live in Ursy. Shemale me at dbamoran@yahoo.com when ya have time. Damien (Peacenikhurler.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds good old boy, I can do all of those things except run. I shall email you shortly.

    Paddy

    ReplyDelete