Aside from the pretty standard football graffiti rivalry in Warsaw (it's amazing how quickly you get used to the Polonia/Legia art competition as a backdrop to everyday life even though the kind of murals above are very rare in the UK) there are occasional disturbing reminders that behind all the football hatred lies something a bit more malignant:
The celtic cross in a circle is the standard "white power" symbol and the NS in the picture below presumably stands for "national socialism."
Fortunately for every white power afficianado there seems to be a just as vigorous response from anti-fascists:
And so, particularly in the northern half of the city, the endless graffiti battle continues.
I did my dissertation on the British National Party's modernisation programme so I know fairly well that most extremist racists aren't the brightest bananas in the bunch but despite this I find it hard to understand why any Pole worth his salt would ever taint nationalism with the biological racism that Hitler and the Nazis espoused. But I guess that's the point, they're not really worth their salt.
There's interviews with some neo-Nazis in this Ross Kemp documentary.
Anyway, off this slightly depressing topic and back in with the good old times:
Two old men chat at the bus stop:
Friday night's dinner for one:
No comments:
Post a Comment