Friday, 6 May 2011

Learning Polish with Fire and Sword

More blogging arrhythmia caused by a pretty busy week, public holidays and a very intensive set of Polish classes at my new school. I promise to put in a pace maker and revert ASAP. Speaking about my new course, compared to my last school, which to put into a military metaphor felt like taking a stroll over a hill with two beautiful female lieutenants from the Danish Army, the new school is a SAS safe-house-busting flash-bang of a ride. But no pain, no linguistic gain.

So this blogpost is for all the English speakers who are currently fighting the good fight and learning Polish. Over the course of Easter I spent a delightful 4 hours watching Ogniem i Mieczem, based on one of a trilogy of books by Sienkiewicz, over on TVP Polsat. It's sprawling epic full of fighting, horrific murders, intrigue and beautiful princesses. Glorious stuff. It's available on YouTube with english subtitles here and I can't wait to start reading Siekiewicz in the original.

I've tried watching Polish TV without English subtitles or with lector but I find that although I understand large parts I quickly switch off mentally.  I still think it's useful to listen to (in the hope that if I ever slip into a coma I might wake up speaking perfect Polish - yes, I really do fantasise about that linguistic short cut sometimes) but I don't make a conscious effort to concentrate on it. Perhaps in another 6 months when I hope to be approaching advanced intermediate stage. In the meantime I prefer to read articles and search for things online with English subtitling. Any suggestions - get in touch.

On a sidenote, whoever "The Lektor" is, and he appears to be the same deep voiced guy in every single programme, I hope he's due retirement soon. He drives me nuts! It's impossible to hear the actors speaking underneath his monotone burr. It's not helpful for Poles learning English or vice versa. It's also less funny, as anyone who's watched dubbed English or American films can attest. I'll never forget the shock I got when I first went to France at age 11 and saw Harrison Ford - Harrison Ford for the Lord's sake! - speaking out of sync French in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Hilarious.

Last Friday I went to see Legia vs Lodz Widzew. What an astounding experience. I wrote a few notes and hope to have a full unexpurgated digest up soon.

Ps. for those who like non-English language films about history, there are also two Russian filns - "1612" and "Attack on Leningrad" that are also on YouTube. Both have got lots of fighting in.

7 comments:

  1. I agree about the same guy doing all the lector work. He must be connected to the mafia of something because he really does do everything. There must be atleast one other person with a half decent voice in Poland? Maybe a chick? Hell, why not me? That'll sure bring some suprises :)

    Cheers for the films, I'm gona check those out tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On New Year's Eve, Eddie and I watched Blues Brothers (a film we've probably seen 100 times between us) with the Polish lektor.

    Kapela. Kapela? Kapela. Kapela!

    Sygnał był źółty, Panie oficerze...

    Ile za Pana kobiety?

    Wy, ja, oni... wszyscy!


    A real hoot for Polish-speaking Blues Brothers fans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PzU at its best. Great to see you back.

    Totally agree about the lektor guy. The only show I can watch with him is the Dog Whisperer . . . because I really only watch it for the dogs anyway. But you're right that he completely ruins both languages.

    Regarding high intensity Polish language training, I hear you brother!! I'll blog more on that topic soon,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would to sow down a few pints with that Polish lektor as I'd say he can tell you everything that has happened on Polish screens since the first TV arrived here.

    As for Polish, I'm wondering whether I should return to school for an intensive course myself. I'm reading two Polish books at the moment which are fascinating and challenging. - Ewa Jasiewicz's 'Podpalić Gazę' and Wojciech Tochman's 'Dzisiaj Narysujemy śmierć'. I promised myself a month ago that for the remainder of the year I wasn't going to read any more English books. I understand a lot from both books, but then when I go to school and 9 year old Martyna starts talking shite to me in Polish I'm completely lost sometimes. I guess it means I gotta also start reading my daughter's new bajki books, so as to catch up on the common everyday lingo used amongst Poland's kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Should read 'I would like to sow down a few pints'. Writing comments so late is not very wise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stumbled across this blog a few weeks ago when I was checking if I'd spelt "pozdrowienia" right - so thanks Mr Google! As a fellow angol living in Warsaw I was hooked straight away.

    Nice one with the link for Ogniem i Mieczem - I've been meaning to watch that for a while now - and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much Alan, it's stuff that like that keeps bloggers going!

    ReplyDelete