Poor performance by “English With George” the daily snippet of English learning which appears on the Metro train screens every day. I have nothing against the guy and I am sure he is an excellent teacher, but some of these mini lessons bear the reek of last minute homework at times. Here’s the worst offender I’ve found recently:
Telephone – transferring call
Hold on a minute, I’m transferring you.
I’m just putting you through..
But exactly where to and for how long, who knows?
What on earth would you make of this if you weren’t a native speaker of English? There’s no indication of the type of word it is, no quotation marks to indicate where it’s used and then that final quizzical sentence about being transferred, which is nonsense. Must try harder! Or, alternatively, if ZTM are reading this I’m happy to step into the gap. English With Paddy:
Pint (noun)
Definition: glass for drinking alcohol (usually beer).
Example: “Can I have two pints of a popular stout, please, and two Gold Labels for my teacher.”
No comments:
Post a Comment