You can obtain PESEL number only after you register your permanent or temporary stay in Poland at the local municipality (its called “Meldunek” in Polish). You can apply for PESEL at the same office you register your stay address (its Urząd Miasta Stołecznego Warszawy and has different office in every district of Warsaw – you can find the addresses here: http://bip.warszawa.pl/Menu_
You will need to give them this form: http://www.mswia.gov.pl/ download.php?s=1&id=3218 – of course fill it first, any for of ID (passport), proof of registration of your stay (Meldunek).
If you don’t have the Meldunek you will need to do that first. Its at the same office and you will need a filled out application with standard information (unfortunately I don’t have a link to it, but it’s available at the office and takes a few minutes to fill in), form of ID (e.g. passport), owner of the locale (with proof of ownership) – he/she needs to come with you and agree (you will gain some tenant’s rights after that), or if you are the owner – you will just need the proof (contract or any other proof).
Why is PESEL useful? Well it gets you lots of medical benefits if you're sick, apparently. I'm in the processo f getting mine. Wish me luck!
You also can't do your tax this year without it ;) I think you don't actually have to register as a foreigner to get it. But then again being non-EU I have different rules and a great deal more paperwork
ReplyDeleteYes - it must be a pain in the dupa. I really love being in the EU.
ReplyDeleteWhat about marrying and claiming residency Gee?
Oh being married does help the process somewhat. Residency is another 2 years off for me though. Although I can start the process at the end of this year. That will save a couple of forests worth of pain! I can't wait!
ReplyDeleteI am not a number I AM A FREE MAN! [sound of Bronisław Komorowski's polite laughter]
ReplyDelete[and a thousand sharp nosed harridans repeat 'nie ma' to the slap of a closing glass door]
ReplyDeleteI have a PESEL but it didn't occur to me that you could actually do anything with it. Maybe I could have gone to the doctor instead of self-medicating with antique antibiotics from a travel kit.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, glad you are back, Paddy.