I had occasion to pop into the British Embassy the other day and was able to get a poppy for today. I had a bit of a quandary over when to hold my minute’s silence given the time difference, but settled for local time. After all I don’t think David Cameron will be doing it at 20:11 tonight as he’s in China.
I went to Josef Pilsudskiego Square to see the official Independence Day celebrations and parade. Every where I went I seemed to only catch the back end of horses, but I did manage to get a few pictures.
An extremely stern looking chap leading the cavalry who I shall call The General.
The different cavalry troops reflect different units and time periods and this is also true of the army troops who marched back and forth, occupying, vacating and then re-entering the square for the President's speech. ^^ The General at work again.
The day started off in brilliant sunshine and nary a cloud in the sky, so I dressed a bit light. As the afternoon wore on it started to get colder and colder and then started spitting a little, so I took myself off to the Stare Miasto to see the right wing march and counter demonstrations which was due to take place this afternoon.
The square was pretty quiet and no-one I spoke to seemed to know when the right wing parties were going to march, so I hung around for a bit and then took myself off home....
...Just in time to turn TVN on to see that the march has started and there's been some unruly behaviour of some sort including stone throwing between the groups but it seems to have quietened down now the Police have moved into position. They know how to control crowds in Poland, unlike yesterday's debacle in London.
No comments:
Post a Comment