Sunday, 7 November 2010

Uwaga! More UK Politics

Two excellent articles on UK politics at the Spectator Coffee House and the Independent. 


Fraser Nelson argues here that David Cameron's optimism has affected his policy making. I agree, and it's a refreshing change! I disagree with him strongly though that the 'Big Society' is a "criminally stupid name for a good idea." I think it's a good name for a half decent policy that's been very badly explained to the public. The best leaders set opinion and bring people with them. So far, Cameron hasn't done this with the Big Society  and time will tell whether it's advertising burble, political cover or a Reaganite vision.


And here Matt Chorley of the Independent summarises some of the tensions in the Coalition Government. On the issue of appointing your party staff to civil service positions this story reminds me of some of the many slightly damaging stories that took place in the first two or three years of Tony Blair's reign. Not toxic in itself but the start of a journey whereby Labour can position the Tories in government as uncaring of the individual. Sometimes the small stories are the ones that start the most negative opinion forming in the mind of the public.

3 comments:

  1. Good name, but in itself does not convey or explain much...overcrowding perhaps? Also sounds just a bit American (Great Society, LBJ was it? whatever happened to that).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Ryszard. I agree it's a bit too American-y and no doubt sends old-school Tory MPs into apoplexy on a regular basis. On the other hand, what would you call it? I struggle to think of a better title, although that may be a reflection of the policy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it will be good to read your blog more...I'm really not very hot on politics and skip that section of the newspaper and I really, really should not...xxx

    ReplyDelete