Wednesday, 22 December 2010

Flying Home for Christmas



Today is my farewell for the seasonal period. Normal PzU service will resume on the 3rd of January. I am really salivating globules of literary desire at the thought of getting my hands on a load of books and I will post up a review of Phantom Pain by Arnon Grunberg, which I read this week, tonight.

The weather seems to have settled down so I am not too nervous about the potential for flight disruption. I feel sorry for anyone stuck away from loved ones at this time of the year. I spoke to a friend of mine who’s trapped in New York and the earliest return date will be Christmas Eve – if she’s lucky. Facing a Christmas alone she also has the problem that the failure to get to grips with the conditions at Heathrow is apparently classed as an ‘act of God’ and therefore the airline won’t cover the costs. You don’t hear that in Helsinki or Moscow as far as I am aware. It seems to be every inch (and we are only talking about two inches of snow)a  failure of Man to prepare and co-ordinate a response that keeps people flying.

Boris Johnson puts it as only he can:

“In a few brief hours, we are told, the snowy super-fortresses will be above us again, bomb bays bulging with blizzard. It may be that in the next hours and days we have to step up our de-icing, our gritting and our shovelling.”

It’s hard to see how Heathrow’s reputation could be any more damaged after BA strikes, the delays at the opening etc. but we’ve managed it again. All part of our country’s timorous slide into oblivion perhaps (Warning! Uwaga! Bitter ex-pat alert, engage Daily Mail comment over-drive!)

I’ve only been blogging for a short period so I really am grateful for anyone that comes back on a regular basis to read my tortured metaphors, hysterical hyperbole, biased conjecture and flailing assumptions. I’ll own up to using the phrase “award winning” every time I mention my writing – yes, this really is all lies. I speculate about what it is a Babcia tells me on the basis of a couple of words from every sentence – for this I apologise. And yes, it’s true that I actually write Tomasz Schafenaker’s  (the renowned Anglo-Pole) contributions to my blog, but celebrity endorsement can only really be around the corner. This time next year....?

On that summary alone I think it’s safe to say you deserve a relaxing Christmas break with your friends and family,  away from my blog!

Merry Christmas,

Paddy

No comments:

Post a Comment