Friday, 17 December 2010

PzU Photo Corner: Babcias Edition

Gentlemen and Lady readers of Pozdrowienia z Ursynowa.There are two things you should know.

The first is that the  following pictures are of well insulated Babcias ('Tram Yetis' as Kolin Murray calls them!) on public transport with their grandchildren and friends. I find the Babcias fascinating because of their dress, their flinty and stoic resolve, and the lines that time and suffering have etched into their faces.

The second thing is an admission that, yes, I have taken these pictures surreptitiously, without consent (which is legal in the UK and I assume also in Polska) and....yes.... it's true I did also recently post that I enjoyed being crushed on buses and metro next to these Tram Yetis because there's lots of surface area to them and they keep you warm. It's not quite overnighting in a tuan-tuan but it's close.

This does not make me a heat-seeking Babcia fetishist. You may now enjoy the photos free of any residual suspicions. That is all.


6 comments:

  1. I realised that Poland was different to England in 1990 when, on a Warsaw tram, I saw a strapping 16 year-old lad perched on the knees of his septuagenerian grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tram Yetis :) I'm stealing that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I snapped another one today! Feel free, I pinched it off Kolin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm being picky here but I try my best to use what I think is the 'proper' plural form of yeti: yeti. I'm actually not sure if this is right but my instincts tell me it is and it's more fun to say. Example: "There were three particularly well insulated yeti on the #26 this morning."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kolin

    Wikitionary suggests both can be used: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/yeti

    But it's your phrase so you have ownership rights!

    ReplyDelete