TVN played the cockpit recording from the Smolensk crash in full this evening and I listened just before I switched the TV off for the Ipswich game.
I have 13 hours as co-pilot, mostly in Cessnas, from when I was 12 - 13 and when my Dad was parachuting often (he now has several hundred jumps having started parachuting at 40). I landed on my own twice and it was the most extraordinary feeling. I left the plane walking several inches above ground. The adrenaline rush for little 13 year old me was immense. I have huge respect for commercial pilots, whose training is long and difficult.
I understood some of what was being said in the cockpit recording but not enough to get a sense of the pressure and tension the pilots were under, so I don't feel confident in pronouncing judgement on the pilots: it feels reasonable though to understand they were under pressure given the presence of others on the flight deck, the fairly recent censure of a pilot flying the President under similar circumstances and in addition when flying a comparatively basic TU-154.
One thing I do feel, strongly, is that is was wrong for the Russians to release the screams of the pilots and navigator in the final half second as they crash. It was disturbing and unneccessary, and I feel for the pilots' families. Everyone will have heard their loved ones in the final, terrifying moments before they died.
Terrible Russians, Do they actually own TVN or do they just control it?
ReplyDeleteThey were the ones who released the audio! It was pretty shocking, or maybe I'm just a wussy Englishman used to TV's self censorship.
ReplyDelete