Monday, 10 January 2011

Czy wiesz? Life and Marriage

Did you see that?


Interesting collection of photos at this website from a photographer who has lived in Poland since 2004. The photos are striking but I also think the website's design is a good example of how to put visual-based websites together. 

Did you know that..?

The average age at which men get married in Poland is 27.5 years. That means that last month I succeeded the average and continue to retain my freedom from the old ball and chain.  Poland is equal to Portugal's average age for men and only beaten by countries further East including Belarus (25.1), Ukraine (25.9) Russia (26.1) Moldova (25) Latvia (26.4) and Lithuania (25.7)

This subject has been a bit on my mind as my two brothers (30 and 24 lat) are getting married in March and May of this year. The average age at which English men marry is 30.7 lat (Relevant brother will be 30.9 at the time of union) and for American men (my younger brother is getting married to an American girl so I suppose that's the most appropriate stat) 27.5, he's bucking the trend.

I know a lot of Poles who have wed their childhood sweethearts, indeed the Mrs' sister did just that. From watching American films and the like this also seems to be quite common in the United States. Perhaps that explains the identical number of 27.5 years for men in Poland and the US. I assume this comes from a mix of cultural norms and socio-economic conditions.

Incidentally, for women, it's 25.4 years in Poland and 25.6 in the US.

Congratulations to Kolin Murray at Borsuk na Pradze on his recent marriage to his Polish girl (sensible chap!).

*All stats pinched from wikipedia

5 comments:

  1. Wonder what the average age for divorce is... (sorry!!) Be interesting to know though! What is the national average for UK women? Are you feeling like you need to jump on the band wagon soon yourself? ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The average age for woman in the UK is 28.5.

    Not sure about divorce rates!

    No - not in any rush here whatsoever. Still considering if marriage is really necessary anymore. Those dang cultural norms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about all that proposing in Aldeburgh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rumours of my impending nuptials are much exaggerated. Besides you can't propose with a lemon sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's come shite I wrote about marriage:

    http://peacenikhurler.blogspot.com/2008/12/fast-forward-marriage.html

    http://peacenikhurler.blogspot.com/2009/09/getting-married-in-poland.html

    I meant to follow up my marriage experience by blogging it and granting others an insight into the process that led me down the very short civil aisle in Poland, but alas, it remains in the treasure trove of my heart.

    ReplyDelete