Tuesday, 11 January 2011

The Cruel Snow

January will be warm (anything over zero degrees now feels balmy to me) and February should see temperatures plummet. The days are getting longer and somehow, despite it still being cold, the weather isn't as depressing as it is in London with steamy bus windows, puddles on broken pavements, umbrellas out in offices and the wet dog smell of drying clothes.
That said, as the temperatures rise the snowfalls from November and December have melted, exposing several months' worth of public boozing. And it isn't pretty. 

As a committed drinkopologist, I can report that beers are most popular, Krastolewskie especially. Small 100ml vodka bottles also abound with Lubelska Cytrynowa in particular.
The strange thing is I haven't seen anybody ever drink in this spot, but it can't be fly-tipping as there's nothing else there. Secret midnight drinkers? Odd.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, the most depressing thing about the thaw is what is uncovered by the fleeing snow...

    There is just so much sand and dirt, rubbish and dog droppings that I want to go to sleep and wake up in April to some nice spring sunshine and spring cleaning.

    ReplyDelete