Tuesday, 25 January 2011

Pierwsze Czas Po Polsku - PzU Historia

There’s a revealing response which all students, including myself,  seem to do after making mistakes during language classes, and that’s saying “sorry.”

Really, why should we apologise for not knowing something, or having forgotten? Surely we should only apologise when we’re not trying or don’t care. And yet despite feeling this way, every time I forget something in my Polish language classes “sorry” comes straight out of me.

I tried to ban the word among my interns etc. when I worked as an office manager for an MP. I thought it was only a British thing to precede the presentation of work or a report with “Sorry about this, but...” or “I’ve done my best but I am not sure if it’s right.” but students here do it too.

Perhaps it doesn't matter in the round, but obvious deference like that indicates weakness or inferiority, so starting off with an apologetic word can lead to you not getting what you want.

Anyway, fighting the urge to apologise in advance...

Pierwsze Czas

Oczywiście uczyc śię jezyk Polskiego w Angli kiedy mieszałm w Londyniu. Uczyciełem na polilang.co.uk. Ten nauczyceilką, Ola Łakarsa, była bardzo dobzre. Polilang jest w Londyn Bridgiu i była fine ceny. Z Polsce, uczycłem sie w Wrocławiu na Link Szkola. Byłem lekcja intesywna i Takźe byą bardzo dobzre.

Potem trzy miesiąc ostatne mam nowy lekcja w IKO School for Foreigners. Bardzo lubię uczyc sie znowu. Nagle mowię więze po polsku wszędzie, z fryzjerski, z sklepy i do moją studentki. Podekscytowany około pisam i czytam po Polsku. To jezyk ma melodia i ty jest bardzo atraktywna. Dla teraz tylko mowię trochy ale jest łatfe uczyc się w Polsce. Na przkład moze mowic potem lekcja z obcy i łatfe myslisz ze po Polsku. Ale oczywiśćie mam duźe problem oczywsicie, teraz bo mieszkam w Warszawie mowię często i ty jest lepiej dlaminie.

Dziękujecie!  

Teraz dlatego musię mowić przpraśam bardzo dla moje błądki, duze przpraśam!

Update: Incidentally I see this article in the New York Times summarising some researching suggesting  that repetitive learning based around tests is most effective in storing new information. I last learnt Latin, in a traditional rote-manner with continual testing, about 12 years ago but I remember it much better than French, which was taught more "modernly" and accessibly. 


I now recall our usual Latin test format, named, "Mrs Dum-Dum." Each student had to translate one word at a time from a set text and whoever failed to get their word right instantly was marked down, whoever got the most marks would have to wear a special t-shirt with "Mrs Dum-Dum" on it for the rest of the class. I remember being drenched in sweat and tension at the excitement of scanning my words in advance to make sure I avoided this 'punishment'. Sexist and old-fashioned maybe, but this particular test worked. But I won't be trying it with my mainly female students any time soon! 


That style of learning is possibly why I used to tell my kickboxing instructor to shout at me and be rude when I was doing well rather than encourage me...fear of failure is often more powerful a motivation. To link back to what I started this article saying, it's probably what motivates people to be defensive and placative when presenting work or after making mistakes. 

You only fail when you're not trying!

2 comments:

  1. Paddy, twój polski jest niezły, jak widzę.gratulacje, oczywiiiiiiiiiiście.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyszsby? Dziękuję bardzo dla twoj wiadamość!

    ReplyDelete