Now that the weather is improving one of the advantages of finishing at 16.30 at my new work and having a Polish language class at 18.00 is I can wander up into town to the class on ul. Foksal at my own pace.
Yesterday, in order to memorise the chorus of the Polish National Anthem properly, I sang it non-stop for the whole thirty minutes of the walk and it's safe to say it's locked into my brain forever. I'll probably be singing it when the men in white coats finally find me on Brighton beach, in a state of distress and undress.
Along the way...
A rare vodka bottle find:
4X100ml? He'd have been better off buying a bigger bottle me thinks.
Should I contact the Vatican or will you? Here's a disturbingly accurate map of Great Britain, made, perhaps by the Rust Gods...
I think the inference from the Rust Gods' prophesy is that Cumbria is facing flooding. You have been warned.
Along the way I stop at a little plaque on Al. Jerozomlimskie which gives more details regarding the fake palm tree in the middle of the Charles de Gaulle Roundabout (by the way - how ignominious for M. De Gaulle to be overlooking a traffic feature, but c'est la vie, eh?!).
I am not sure if you can read some of the outrageous nonsense that's spouted about this plastic palm tree, so here we are:
The central element of this untypical monument, a monument event, an object-situation, is an artificial palm tree (so far, so incredibly pretentious) this seemingly innocent, almost jocular object (well yes, I agree it's jocular, and it's hard to imagine what couldn't be innocent about a plastic palm tree, unless I am being naieve) caused the name "Jerusalem Avenue" to lose its neutral character (Not sure what was neutral about the Avenue before the palm tree appeared, but, please, do go on...) The palm becomes a pretext for an ongoing discussion concerning Varsovians' attitude towards tradition, history or politics.
Bzdura. Total Bzdura. Accurate English-language words beginning with 'B' would be balderdash, balls and bollocks. An, "inverted pyramid of piffle" in the words of the Mayor of London.
Really, why does art have to be so much bzdura? If a fake palm tree makes people stop and smile, then surely it has done all it needs to do. Bzdura I say.
I love our palm tree! Look at the prospect from the tram stop on Al. Jerozolimskie towards Most Poniatowskiego, you can see the Gates of Asia, Praga beyond. It's a magnificent vista. The idea behind the palm is purest genius. The "outrageous nonsense spouted" about it is of course twaddle deserving a mention in Private Eye's Pseud's Corner.
ReplyDeleteThere you go. That should be up the plaque instead!
ReplyDelete