Tuesday, 2 August 2011

This is England

Gliding silently through the early morning mist, my brother and I startle rabbit after rabbit and provoke the explosive flight of pigeon upon pigeon as we cycle through the Suffolk countryside at dawn's break.

I'm back in Suffolk for a bit of a working holiday helping my Dad do some building work around the place. Suffolk - the county I was brought up in - was recently voted the best county in the UK. Known as England's "Bread Basket" for its flat landscape and excellent weather, it may not have Cornwall's charm, or Cumbria's landscape, or Scotland's ruggedness, but it's home.

In between eating good smoked salmon and drinking cider (difficult to get on my salary in Poland) I'm re-reading Berlin by Anthony Beevor and subjecting my Dad to hours of Polish talk radio as we toil under an unexpected period of good weather (28c and cloudless today). 

On the right, the village's Tithe Memorial. In 1934 Church bailiffs confiscated an enormous sum of materials from a local farmer in lieu of unpaid rent. The event attracted national press interest for its unfairness and at some later date the farmer commemorated the event by placing this memorial to it directly outside the church - a reminder to everyone attending of the Church's power among the community.

Now village life and church attendances are a shadow of their former selves, and this makes me wonder how some of the things I, as an outsider, appreciate about Poland - the sense of some kind of unity rooted in history, ethnicity and religion -  which might change as Poland comes to resemble its Westerly neighbours.

As if to underline this point, I write this watching The Jeremy Kyle Show. "Do us a favour mate and get out of my show and never darken its doors again you pathetic, disgusting weasel" says Jezza as he publically humiliates a man who's lied to his girlfriend about going to strip clubs. Good God almighty - is this the progress of a modern society? I used to enjoy this programme but having not watched it for a while it fills me with a sadness for the country I've left. But, twas ever thus, as the poet said - I am clearly coming down with an acute case of ex-pat confirmation bias syndrome. I believe the cure is another bottle of cider with blackberry liqueur.


This is England. Still home.


5 comments:

  1. Cheer up mate! England rocks it's just that Jeremy Kyle deserves a slap in the mouth. I would love to get my hands on his dirty secrets - and we all have them, nobody is perfect.

    But then again, I do kind of think, what moron would go on that show and have their dirty laundry aired for everyone to see?

    But I do think that we will see similar changes in Poland as society aligns itself more with the west. I think that even now, for most young or middle aged people in Poland - Church is just something they pay lip service too as opposed to having a genuine religious connection to it.

    ile Polski radio mozesz rozumieć, wszystko? czy troche?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to see your beautiful HOME. Sometimes I read your comments left on W-wa Jeziorki. I appreciate your kind notes about Poles and Poland. Thank you for them.:)
    Yes, it's "the sense of some kind of unity rooted in history, ethnicity and religion", and I must add that it's rooted in the youngest years of our life. I think that very important event for almost every Pole is the First Communion. In my case it has tied me with church for ever, nevertheless I'd like to underline that during my different trips I could see religious people (people in church) also in Slovakia (the most beautiful European cathedral in rather small town Kosice), Hungry and Lithuania.
    I was in London last year. I'm grateful your country for the British Museum, a great gift for people from around the world.
    Pozdrowienia ze Służewca!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jel, for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And for reading my blog, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey TEFLSecret Agent... I generally listen to either TOK FM (good podcasts on Itunes as well) or one of the national radio stations. In addition for a different flavour I sometimes listen to Radia Maryja tez. Do you listen to Polish radio?

    ReplyDelete