Polish Football Supporters, well known for their courtesy and manners, are often seen buying each other flowers before games. Many are late into the stadia as they practice their elaborate curtseys outside one last time and compare collections of pot pourri. President Tusk has vowed to crack down on this national embarrassment in the run up to Euro 2012, by outlawing leather jerkins.
I’ve blogged in the past about attending Legia Warszawa games. I wasn’t able to go to Legia’s Europa Leaue game last week against Hapoel Tel Aviv because I was sick, so I missed a great game which Legia won with a last minute goal to make it 3-2 as well as a live screening of the latest football controversy. Watch this video to see the “opraw” (giant banner) which was briefly unfurled in the “Zyleta” (Razor Blade) tribune (stand, what Americans call bleachers).
I can only report what I observe: the Legia games I’ve been to are incredibly (and surprisingly) safe. There is much less aggression and personal abuse inside the stadium than at English grounds, and none of the sick dread of hostility that builds up before the games. The blokes are massive, but the atmosphere is family friendly, and the level of support is astounding.
I have observed two incidents of racism during the games I've been to. One, when a black player for Lodz Widzew was substituted and the guy in front of me turned to his mate and briefly made a monkey noise. It was disgusting and repellent but it was one person, if that’s a small comfort. The second was against Spartak Moskva when the entire crowd was chanting “Russia is a Whore” at the away fans.
Let’s face it, Legia fans aren’t the only football supporters in Europe to get away with abuse which goes past bad taste and well beyond the bounds of decency. But they could probably do with getting a PR officer in at the moment.
I get the impression – rightly or wrongly – that the Government is only really cracking down on fans, like banning attendance at away games, because Euro 2012 forces it to. So whilst there is talk about identifying and charging the culprits, you still have to walk past large graffiti saying “Warsaw Fans Hooligans” on the way to the game, and hooligan/ultra terminology is used frequently on clothes and in songs.
I put this latest controversial act down to a “this will look badass” mentality rather than some attempt at political/anti Semitic imagery. Polish football fans do borrow terminology and imagery from outside their own country and this fits the pattern. But it’s bad taste and stupidly provocative – about right for football fans, some might say.
Poland’s relationship with its chuligani is complex. I wonder if there's a small part of Poland’s national psyche which needs the chuligani just as much as its repelled by them.

Good blog as usual Paddy! I've heard a lot about how dangerous it can be at Polish matches but having read your reports it seems a lot of it is exaggerated. Certainly can't see how it can be any worse than the UK!
ReplyDeleteAs for the banner, well I will say it was creative and it must have taken loads of time and organisation to get it made ... but maybe not in the best taste.
Hopefully join you for the next trip to Lazenkowska!
r u surprised Paddy? anti-Semites, racists, xenophobes - this is who they really are. I mean most of polish football suporters. Pozdraiam, Nat
ReplyDelete