Monday, 3 October 2011

I Touched The Column and I Liked It

Interview last Thursday at the British Embassy. I was still sick with a fever that wasn’t helped by cold nights and hot days and took off almost all of last week. Against all medical advice and old wives’ tales and flying in the face of the Dreaded Polish Draught, I cycled to the Stare Miasto last Tuesday out of boredom. Whilst there I remembered that touching the old column of King Sigismund III – the one that was destroyed by Nazi German shelling during the Warsaw Uprising and now lies in parts on a grass verge by the Royal Palace – was considered good luck. A bit like touching Churchill’s foot.

It must have had some effect. Despite coughing, hacking and croaking my way through the interview, I now have a full-time job until April. Medical benefits, guaranteed income, pension and savings – the chance finally to travel, to return to Polish school and to enjoy life with some security. The worm has turned. Thanks, Ziggy.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Michael. I am sure our paths will cross soon - perhaps at the PaIiIZ Conference on Wednesday morning if you are going.

    Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took your advice and touched too, I'm in warszawa for a few days
    and had a tooth taken out, the pain has nearly gone, although that could be to do with the extremely powerful Polish pain killers I was advised to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we're seeing a trend here. What's the name of the painkillers? I keep hearing of these mythical strong drugs but haven't found any yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paddy, they are called Ketonal, apparently on prescription they
    cost 1zł for 50 tablets and your only allowed two a day.
    They are blue and come in a small bottle.
    Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark - good man!!! I will store that for future reference!

    ReplyDelete