Monday, 20 December 2010

Multiculturalism in Poland

I have been intending to write something about multiculturalism in Poland.

What’s it like to be foreign – obviously foreign – and live here? How open (and latent) is racism here, and where? What are Poland’s prospects for increased ethnic integration? What are my own experiences of this issue having lived in multicultural London for many years?

These were some of the questions I wanted to answer and I wrote about 1500 words before I realised I couldn’t really reach a conclusion on any of it just yet. So it's into the bin with that dross.

I haven’t lived here long enough and my analysis would mainly be based on conversations with the many Poles I’ve met both in London and Warsaw. Some of it would be favourable, and some of it less so.  

Must be something about the time of year because it’s also been featured on 20 East and Polandian. However, if this subject is of interest to you then I recommend you visit A Black Man in Poland, which sadly seems to have gone offline now (Update: just checked it and he's been posting again. Good). 

In lieu of this I feel I should report generally on anti-social behaviour so far. I haven’t been threatened, felt nervous with cause or without nor seen any violence since I got here. That does stand in contrast to London and may be a reason why life here feels more chilled out and I feel happier.There are some meaty looking lads, I don't wander or go out in the city centre on Friday nights, but so far Warsaw feels safe.

I don’t feel confident I could offer a considered view for at least another year but it’s something that really interests me.  In the meantime I suggest you put a brew on, tune in TVN and relax. Christmas is a-coming!

5 comments:

  1. I would suggest that the majority of foreigners in Poland are seen as the 'right' kind of foreigner - i.e. the ones that are not noticed. 95% are probably white, don't make themselves noticed, try to get involved in life here by working, getting to know Poles, and dating/marrying them.

    Thus the concept of multiculturalism has yet to be born here, never mind evolve into something significant.

    The best indicator I would ask you would be: "How many times has a random Pole come to you on the street and asked you for directions or something similar, asking you in Polish?" In the 18 months I've been here, it's happened maybe once per month, which shows to me that Poles don't yet notice and don't yet expect to find foreigners here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decoy

    I agree. I have an interaction with someone random almost every day, from a Babcia telling me to put on my hat or avoid a puddle or help her across some ice, to someone asking about train or bus departures. They are always surprised when I say I'm not Polish. But of course I'm dark haired and blue eyed, so I look "right". I fit the preconception. In London you can hear a dozen different languages on the bus in less than five minutes. My post was all about the more obviously foreign, the people i'd seen myself, watching the Poles around them for any signs that they felt able to express some sort of racism. I didn't see much evidence of that but I know from many conversations already that some sort of casual racism - as we 'Westerners' understand the term to mean - is still a majority currency. I just don't feel quite up to speed on Poland to be able to comment on it yet, but wanted to make some sort of passing nod to the work I'd already done. It interests me. How Poland adapts socially and the speed at which it does so will be a key to its success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I say "express some sort of racism" I should qualify I mean some obvious look of disapproval or dislike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of some racism from a work colleague of mine who had a boyfriend from Cameroon. In a sad way, he is sort of expecting it now, although he did say it seemed to be the kind of people who would be pissed off with anything outside of their status quo, never mind a black guy from Africa.

    I think it's going to be a tough lesson in Poland in the coming years, trying to adapt to some level of multiculturalism, and I can see it being a painful one. But having said that, I am hopeful for the younger generation being the ones to adapt quickly to it, with many of them having lived abroad for a period, and being in countries with a more diverse population.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been to Poland now many times and I can tell you I feel more relaxed and at ease there than I do in England in particular London. I am a London born&bred man in my 40's with a Polish wife and let me tell you Poland has nothing to prove to anyone with regards to treatment of outsiders. The BBC recently made a documentry about racism in Poland, well they picked some very small isolated incidents at football matches, whereas Poland in general is much safer than multi-cultural England.
    Why do you think so many original Londoners have left the city and moved to the small towns or even abroad.
    How about the BBC or even TVP make a documentry about violence and hate in London and while they are at it get a breakdown of victim&perpetrator statistics from the police or home office?

    ReplyDelete