When you start to recognise strangers on the bus.
I met this chap on the 185 coming down Dolina Sluzewiecka. And, a month later...
Who should I spy but yer man on the 503 on Nowy Swiat. Looking decidely tired. No mistaking the fellow though.
Jokes aside, Warsaw does feel like a smaller city. I see quite a few people on the tube and bus that I recognise. I spend a lot of time looking, of course, as I am still green enough to take an interest in other people, and the way they live. My friend Helena from Slovenia says that, in a country of 2 million people, everyone knows everyone. 2 million people? Plenty enough. You only need to have a regular route or 4 best friends who have four best friends who have 4 best friends and so on to reach 2 million pretty quickly.
Varsovians tell me the whole city is in a rush, with no-one stopping to consider anyone else. I am still Londonified to find that rather amusing. This place does feel a little, well, parochial in comparison.
I am wishing I could post a bit more at the moment but organising 'Stag Dos', attending two weddings (of both my brothers), learning Polish, moving flat - eventually, in April - and doing two jobs, is sapping even my ability. I hope you will bear with me until April, when a plentitude of time will afford me the opportunity to shower you with tortured metaphors, bon mots a-plenty and enough wish-washy whimsy to last a lifetime.
Pozdrowienia Z Ursynowa. Your number one source of invasive public photography. Smacznego.
Also - a great moment over at Do you Speak Polish? I live for such moments.
No comments:
Post a Comment