A little while ago I travelled to the US for my brother's wedding and posted a few miscellaneous observations on my return. Here's one I forgot to post.
“Hey how y’all doing today?” In Oklahoma if you see a stranger on the street you automatically say hello. That’s not something I’ve encountered since I moved from my village in Suffolk about ten years ago. Perhaps it’s easier given how few Americans you see walking on the average street!
- “how are you doing today?”
- “I am good thank you, how are you?”
- “oh I am doing just great”
“that’s great. What can I do for you today, sir?"
After a while I found myself longing for a warty cashier to snap at me "Slucham" (I'm listening) whilst doing her best to disprove the statement. On the plane back I decided that on balance I rather like the Polish strangers/shop mannerisms. It's much easier if you're having a bad/bland or introverted day.
It takes some getting used to as an English person – the UK is a bit closer to the US in terms of that automatic friendliness – but I came home with the realisation that there is a genuineness about the Poles’ indifference which I appreciate much more. It makes their affection, when it does happen, that much the more, well, affecting.
Since writing this I've remembered that there are plenty of times when someone in a service role has been perfectly friendly here, it's just that that's the almost the norm in the US and generally so in the UK, but by-and-large the exception in Polska.
I've since started a guerilla campaign of smiling and saying good day to old people as it's a costless and enjoyable way of surprising someone with a bit of old fashioned manners but I've also, recently, been finding my teeth grate at some bad email practices - ignoring emails or replying with curt "OK"s is not the done thing in my neck of the woods. But then, as an English teacher, I'm probably bottom of everyone's to-do list!
I always say Thank you very much and have a nice day (in Polish of course) and the grumpier the attendent, cashier, policeman or whoever it is actually is the louder and kinder I say it. The only thing Polish people feel more than miserable at work, is guilt for things. So I guilt them into smiling back at me. It works a treat. My wife loves it and says "Oh did you see her/him? Their eyes just light up when you say that!" It is true, they actually really love it. I think it is people just feel miserable at work so why not try to mix it up a little. :D Keep it up Paddy!
ReplyDeleteDo you really think that? That's interesting, as I have the opposite experience. I find a slightly over exaggerated thank you and a big, wide smile tends to annoy the shop person if they are intent on having a bad day. There's nothing that enrages then more than the customer's righteousness.
ReplyDeleteThey just haven't discovered the wonderful benefit of being friendly to people - it makes the shift go quicker!
Interesting Post, Paddy. We chould chat buddy!
ReplyDeletecould or should?!! :) Aye agreed. I've ramped up my private studentki and suddenly seem to have no time for anything left.
ReplyDeleteI totally think it. :) I have proved it too,many times. I think there is a difference to being sarcastic and genuine though as Poles are one of the few races outside Australia, the UK and NZ that actually understand and enjoy irony.
ReplyDeleteWe need to carry outside some sort of field experiment as that is the total opposite to my experience. Buuuut I completely agree that Poles are quite fond of irony, fortunately!
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting that you have a completely differet view than Steffen Moeller. I recommend you the last chapter "Życzliwość" from his book "Polska da się lubić". He thinks that Poles are nice and friendly. I think that we are reserved in the first contact but the ice can rapidly break.
ReplyDeleteMistrust is a huge problem in Poland - to strangers, authorities and experts.
Although I've wilfully mixed up the two in this blogpost, I guess I delineate in my mind between customer service attitudes and the attitude of the general population. Paulina, I agree with you - some of the warmest and most fulfilling friendships I've made have been with Poles, after the first meeting that is!
ReplyDelete