Thursday, 16 June 2011

What a Way to "Wiki" Warsaw?

This Big City is a really excellent blog that focuses on sustainable transport and infrastructure issues. Something that caught my eye recently was a blogpost about people in North and South America  collectively addressing street infrastructure issues, like a lack of benches or ill-maintained gardens by banding together to provide the improvements that councils can’t or won’t do themselves. That's the kind of direct action that I can believe in - making a tangible difference to the lives of everyone.

That got me thinking, how could we wiki-warsaw?  I’ve already blogged about how I think the city should do more to create a well-integrated series of walking paths, with information points and coloured zones and pavements to assist visitors.  (See previous blogs about Walksaw such as this one)

It’s not that this is done any better in London (sorry for relentless London focus but I haven’t been anywhere else recently) but Warsaw is a very spread-out and sometimes disparate city and one that requires quite a lot of work to get to each of its interesting parts. People I've met who've visited Warsaw for a couple of days have gone up and down Nowy Swiat, wandered round the old town, got drunk, stood around The Palace of Culture and Science for a bit and then gone to the Rising museum. There's got to be a way to squeeze more out of Warsaw's ripe fruits than that.
But what about more localised direct action? What do you think the good people of Warsaw could do to address the kind of problems that affect us all but that nobody does anything about? And would it ever happen? Or does it already happen and I don't know about it?

One issue immediately strikes me...relentless numbskull graffiti.  Wouldn't it be nice if the whole of Warsaw spent an hour painting over it. Spring clean out. But what else? Ideas in the comments box. Good replies will get a free picture of a Babcia in a winter coat sent to them.


Ps. Having written this post, I've decided to do at least one good thing to improve Warsaw's streets a week, whether it be picking up a piece of litter or disposing of some empty bottles. The revolution starts here... will you be Khruschev, banging the relentless "no" of a child's shoe on a table in protest or a Che Guevera, starting with the guerilla warfare of litter collection and ending with storming the  Mayor's office with a giant mop? The choice is yours.

PPS. All afternoon I've been trying to think of suggestions, but I keep coming up with passionate vigilante fantasies. Hoping y'all might be able to do better/humaner. 

3 comments:

  1. One of the things that always gets me is rubbish dumped in the woods so I'd be happy to get involved in some sort of "clean up Warsaw's woods" campaign. I reckon a small group could make a big difference. I even remember doing something similar in the New Forest once when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the companies I teach at has a quarterly "in the community" day where they go and do something nice outside of the workplace. They have asked the Warsaw city council if they could paint over graffiti and maybe make a mural, plant trees and a few others I forget now, but, all of these were rejected by the council. Without any real reasons why. So maybe the first community thing you could do would be to start a petition people power is the only way to get action in a place like Poland. I don't litter and recycle/reuse about 70% of rubbish and also stop and frown at people letting their dogs crap.... but I am sure I could do more.... I also encourage everyone to drink water from the tap and not bottles. Try that one on your students and see what they say ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting suggestions guys. Gee - I will be exploring this with students and will post their comments. Students... poor sods.. they think you're interested in your opinion, when all you really want is to suck their brains dry for blogging purposes!

    ReplyDelete